Saturday, June 8, 2013

Through the Eyes of a Child

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite cartoons was The Little Prince. I'm not sure what it was that intrigued me about the cartoon, but it was my favorite.

More than a decade later, I worked for a professor, Dr. Louis (Lou) Seig. I had a small desk in Dr. Seig's office and spent many afternoons visiting with my friend. One afternoon, some how, some way, our conversation landed on The Little Prince. That day I learned the cartoon was far more than a cartoon. Before I left his office, Dr. Seig shared the story and gifted me his personal copy of the book, which I have to this day. I'll have it forever. And I will forever be grateful to Dr. Seig for sharing the meaning of the story with me, and explaining that true genius sees life through the eyes of a child.

Cover
 
I have learned, and continue to learn much through my children. They remind me daily how miraculous life is.
 

 



 
Every day holds a new experience.


 
And new mountains to climb.



 
They remind me to take life as it comes.

 
And that dreams really do come true.






 
They remind me not to take myself too seriously. And to be silly, even if someone might be watching.


 
To ask lots of questions.

 
And to look for the good and beauty in all things.
 
 
We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
John Keating, Dead Poet’s Society, 1989
 

No comments: