Thursday, November 10, 2011

momma said there'd be days like this

Last month was a busy month...I'm taking November to catch up and rest up. One major October event happened the night of October 6. It was PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) night. And as PTO co-president, I was taking a small break from the work day to franickly tweak that night's agenda...when Wade called. Wade had planned on coming home early that night to meet a friend who recently bought our desk. His call was to let me know he wasn't feeling well and that he probably wouldn't be in any condition to help move the desk or attend PTO. He was either a) really sick because he wanted that desk GONE, or b) he REALLY didn't want to go to the PTO meeting. Either way, I was sorry he didn't feel well, but didn't think too much about it.

Then, I got another call about 45 minutes later. Wade had already made the 25 minute drive home and called to warn me he had the flu. In other words, I was on my own for the night. Dinner, baths, bedtime...I'd better pick up a 32 ounce diet coke on my way to pick up the boys.

Then, 10 minutes later. Another call. The first thing out of Wade's mouth was "something isn't right. My heart is beating really fast." Needless to say, I was soon on my way home. He was waiting on me as soon as I pulled into the driveway. He was gray and I was worried. As soon as we got to the ER they whisked him away and left me at the front desk to check-in. Panic was beginning to take hold. Was Wade having a heart attack? As soon as I was able to join Wade and the half dozen nurses and doctors poking and proding him, I heard the blonde nurse yell, "it's over 200!" What was happening?!

Thankfully, only minutes later, Wade's heart which for a time was beating over 200 beats per minute, finally returned to a normal rythum. The doctor confirmed it wasn't a heart attack, but called it hyper fibrillation. They kept Wade in the hospital overnight to monitor his heart and watch him closely. As long as it doesn't happen again, they say we have nothing to worry about. And no damage was done to his heart during his episode that afternoon. Good news. Crazy day.

While they were working on Wade in the ER, I kept thinking of Katie. I wondered if this was the room she was in before they flew her to OKC. There have been so many days/moments something has happened at work and I've wanted to pick up the phone to call her. And one day I actually did and was surprised by the stranger that answered. It was a wicked reminder. I miss you, Katie. And look forward to the day I'll see you again and meet your precious little baby. Not sure why, but I always imagine you with a baby girl.


Heather Briggs said...

*hugs*....that was so touching

Becca said...

I think I still cry everyday for my mom. It doesn't matter what age a person leaves us, the fact is, they are gone and that is the hard part. We don't EVER get over losing someone important in our lives, we just get through it. John Dunne was right, "No man is an island entire of itself....any man's death diminshes me". The hole that is left can only be filled by our Comforter and Peacemaker. And He is our hope for those great reunions. Love you (and glad Wade's episode is over and not recurring).

Brooke and Peter said...

Wow Michal... that is a day.... Thinking of you... Phone date soon?