Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tumbling

On Tuesday, our Henry gave us quite a scare. While I was at a Student Foundation meeting, Wade was watching Henry at the house...Henry had just had dinner and it was bath time - still Henry's favorite time of day. Wade put Henry in his crib so he would have free hands to run his bath water and get his toys ready. While the water was running, Wade heard crying from Henry's room...Henry had catapulted himself out of his crib, head first, onto the floor. I suppose he was so excited for his upcoming bath that he found a way up and over the crib rail. Wade said he cried for about a minute or two and then was reminded of his bath and began playing and talking as if nothing had happened. Concerned about the fall and the growing bump on Henry's head, Wade called me at work. As I was leaving the building, I realized I had missed his call and called him back to make sure everything was A-okay. When Wade told me about Henry's fall, I thought he was joking, but when he finally convinced me, I immediately called our doctor (praise Jesus for 24-hour nurses), who had a laundry list of questions...when we reached the end of her list, she instructed us to take Henry to the ER immediately. (I think it was the height he fell and the size of his goose egg that alarmed her.) We, of course, were terrified. Henry, on the other hand, was happy as a lark and talked the entire way to the hospital.

When we finally (a 15 minute wait felt like eternity) saw an ER doctor, the swelling of Henry's bump had gone up and was bright red. After examining him, the doctor ordered two x-rays to rule out a skull fracture. When I heard the words, "skull fracture", I lost it...again. Mom and dad, for every ER trip you had to make, I'm sorry. Good news - Henry is perfect. No signs of a skull fracture. We had to watch him like a hawk for the next 48 hours...we were on the look out for signs of a concussion, but Henry was sign-free. Little Britches is one tough boy.

The crib has now been lowered and sits approximately one foot off the floor. If it gets any lower, we might as well just lay the mattress on the floor and fore go the crib altogether.

For those of you praying for Henry this week, thank you...from the bottom of our hearts.

1 comment:

The Brush Family said...

what a little stinker. he looks like the happiest baby around!! glad you got the crib mattress lowered and that he is healthy and happy. they bounce don't they?! Keegan already dropped his baby sister when attempting to pick her up unsupervise and i already let her roll off the couch. oooops. bad parenting i know.