Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Jackson & Grand Teton National Park

I've been dreaming of a family vacation in Wyoming and Montana since I last left. It's one of my most favorite places in the world and I could hardly wait to take our kiddos. The last time Wade and I visited Paradise Valley and Yellowstone, Henry and Sam were both toddlers...and stayed behind with Grandma and Papa. Needless to say, it was a treat to finally experience this part of the country with my family. A special thanks to Brooke for introducing me to Paradise Valley during our college years...this was my fifth trip (I think) since then.

In addition to this being the first time for our family to experience the parks (Grand Tenton and Yellowstone) together, it was the first time for any of us to experience DRIVING there from Oklahoma. Seventeen hours and twenty-one minutes from Stillwater to our destination in Jackson.

Thanks also goes to Mauralee for introducing me to the Roadtrippers app. Thanks to Mo, we were able to find two incredible pit stops near the halfway point each day of travel to Jackson. For anyone making the trek to Colorado via I-70 and looking for an interesting place to stretch your legs, try Coronado Heights Park in Linsborg, Kansas. Our kids LOVED it. Charlie loved it so much that she cried when we had to leave. "MOMMY! I want to go back to the castle...PLEASE," she wailed.

 
 
 





 
 
For friends planning to drive north this summer - be sure to click on the link for the address and more information about Coronado Heights. It's a few miles from the interstate, but worth the detour...especially if you have kids or enjoy exploring.

Like I said, it's a great place for little legs to run and could bring some much needed relief when you're ready to hit the road again.


 
 
Proof the pit stop was worth the detour.
 
Our journey on Day 1 ended in Loveland, Colorado, a couple of hours past the halfway point. After spending an entire day in the car we knew the kids would be even less patient on Day 2, so we opted to drive an extra couple of hours and get through Denver the first day. Again, for friends looking for a great place to stay on your way to Jackson this summer, you might check out the Embassy Suites by Hilton in Loveland. We were able to get a great room for a steal on Expedia.com. And the hotel has an indoor pool, a collection of children's books you are welcome to check-out during your stay, a decent breakfast (included w/ your room), Starbucks in the lobby (very important) and a complimentary evening reception (i.e. a free glass of wine...also very important after a long drive). There is also a Chick-fil-A and Panera just a couple of miles from the hotel...super convenient for a quick, inexpensive dinner after splashing in the pool.
 
The second day, during our drive from Loveland to Jackson, we stopped at THE perfect park, Centennial Park in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Jennifer - You MUST stop here with your boys. They'll love it and it's a great place to let them run and exert some energy. Lots of shade and super clean.
 
(Apologies for the many details...just trying to cover the important stuff for my friends making the same trek with kiddos this summer.)

Once we (finally) reached Jackson, we were fortunate to land at a dear friend's house for two nights. What a blessing that was. Our only plans for the two days we spent in Jackson were to acclimate to the altitude...so I didn't die during my half marathon on Saturday, to hike at least one trail in Grand Teton National Park, and to sample two outstanding restaurants. I'm pleased to report that all missions were accomplished.

Kudos to all who recommended The Granary. I'm not sure which was better, the view or our meal. Both were fantastic. The perfect splurge after two days of driving. And yes, children are welcome. They even have a children's menu.

 
 
Views from the restaurant deck, looking out at the Tetons.
 
 
 
 
 


After their bellies were full and their legs stretched...
 




 
We did, of course, leave a teeny tiny bit of room in our tummies for Moo's Gourmet Ice Cream. And enjoyed the rest of the evening in sweatshirts traipsing around the town square.
 


 







 
We decided to spend our first (and only) full day in Jackson hiking around Jenny Lake. The weather was amazing...we got snowed on during our hike which the kids thought was WONDERFUL. And we timed the rain and snow perfectly and were able to catch a glimpse of this incredible rainbow.
 

 
More photos from our hike around Jenny Lake...






 

 
Charlie was a tropper and hiked the first mile-ish on her own. It was after we passed two hikers heading in the opposite direction who warned us there was a bear seven minutes up the trail, that we told Charlie it was time to ride in her backpack. We never saw the bear, but this momma bear wasn't taking any chances.








 
 

 
Hidden Falls


 
 

 

 
Dinner reservations on Friday were at The Blue Lion. My first time to try lamb as I was told by all who recommended The Blue Lion that I HAD to order the lamb. It did not disappoint. While the views weren't quite as picturesque as The Granary, the food was incredible. 
 
This brings us to Saturday. D-Day. It's truly a miracle I crossed the finish line as my training tanked not long after completing the Run 5K training app. I was consistently walking/jogging nine to twelve miles every week, but ten miles was the most I'd completed at one time. And during that longest ten mile trek, around mile seven or eight, all I could think about was making it home to my compression socks and a cold shower. But on June 2, 2018, I did it. I successfully crossed the finish line of my first (notice I didn't say last) HALF MARATHON. It was an emotional morning...lots of experiences and stories motivating me throughout the 13.1 miles. One of those being Elizabeth Smart.
 
As I stood visiting with new friends who had come from Las Vegas to run, waiting for the race to start, I turned to my immediate right and noticed a young woman that looked oddly familiar. I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw "Elizabeth" on her race bib. Then it struck me. I had just watched her documentary. It was Elizabeth Smart. And I was able to meet her, have a conversation about losing toe nails, and tell her how inspiring her story was to me and so many others. And when the fatigue hit at about mile ten, I told myself that if Elizabeth Smart could endure all that she did during her nine months of hell, I could make it 13.1 miles. So, with the beautiful Tetons as my backdrop, I crossed the finish line with Charile holding my left hand, and Sam holding my right.
 

 


More pictures and adventures from Paradise Valley and Yellowstone to come!
 
 

No comments: